When you are travelling with your whole family, it can be a fun, but sometimes rather chaotic experience. One of the key things is getting every member of the family insured. Which is why many travel insurance companies now offer family travel insurance, a plan that covers all members of the family.
Key Benefits of Family Travel Insurance
- Your children can travel for free on certain family travel policies.
- You can insure all your family members in one policy. This means infants, children and adults are all covered under one single policy.
- Even your elderly family members (up to the age of 89) can be covered in family travel insurance policies
- Some insurers also offer post-departure insurance cover. After all, when the whole family is travelling, preparation can be chaotic and there are many times that travel insurance is forgotten till the last minute.
- And since family holidays also include a plethora of activities, family travel insurance also covers a long list of adventure activities as standard. However, if you are planning to indulge in higher risk sports, you may have to buy extra cover.
- Medical issues during a trip, especially with children, is not uncommon. Added to that, if you also have your elderly relatives along, there may be other medical costs that could crop up. Family travel insurance plans will cover a list of pre-existing medical conditions at no extra cost, so talk to your insurance provider to see what you are getting
Most Popular Family Travel Insurance Plans
There are different types of family travel insurance plans, however, the following are the most popular covers for families:
- Annual Travel Insurance
Many families travel more than once a year, and so prefer to opt for an annual travel insurance plan rather than getting travel insurance every time. This plan covers travel of up to 120 days in a 12-month period. It also covers cancellation or curtailment of travel, emergency medical expenses and baggage claims.
Families can then take as many holidays as they want in a year and still be covered.
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
For families planning a short or longer trip, the comprehensive travel insurance plan is a favourite. This is the policy that 80% of travellers tend to opt for since it covers all possible emergencies that could occur during trips. You also get the option of choosing the duration of coverage. It ranges from 8 days to up to 15 months.
- Regular Stay
For families that are looking at just one trip or going to only one destination that could last up to a maximum of 60 days, this is the best option. The cover provides discounted insurance, which means that you don’t pay as much as you would for a comprehensive or annual travel insurance.
When families go on vacation together, there are so many exciting things to do. However, there are chances of the kids getting sick or hurting themselves. Having family travel insurance ensures that you at least will not have to worry about finances during your trip.