Using your tumble dryer can cost around 50p per load, which can soon add up. Of course there are some thrifty tips for using your tumble dryer, but I have recently discovered a free and easy hack to reduce the time it takes for a load of washing to dry in my tumble dryer.
This clever little tumble dryer hack is to put a dry towel into your tumble dryer with your wet washing. The towel will absorb moisture in your washing and help it to dry faster – reducing the amount of time you need to run your dryer and saving you cash!
There is some debate as to whether you need to remove the towel after 15 – 30 minutes. I have found that my drying time is reduced without needing to remove the towel, but if this hack isn't working for you then try removing the towel after 15 – 30 minutes.
- 100 legitimate ways to make extra money
- How I made £12,000 a year, tax free
- 10 easy ways to make money from bed.
Other ways to save money whilst using your tumble dryer
- Utilise the spin function on your washing machine. After running a wash, set your machine on a “spin” load, which will dry out the clothes more effectively. I do this by default now, regardless of whether I'm using the tumble dryer or not, unless it is the height of summer.
- Use your heating. If you have radiators then you can put clothes onto them to dry, or place a clothes horse in front of them. Make sure you rotate them and take them off as soon as they're dry, so that your heating isn't being used to warm already dry clothing.
- Space out your washing loads. Doing 3-4 loads at the weekend means you will need to resort to using your tumble dryer more, but doing a load every couple of days means you're able to rotate the washing on your radiators.
- If you're using a condenser tumble dryer then empty the water after each load.
- Empty the fluff filters after each load.