Bills bills bills. No matter how much we try to shave off our monthly and annual bills, they are still a necessity. We've managed to get our electricity and gas down from £120 a month to £38 a month, and we discovered a water leak thanks to our £60 a month water bill (that has since been refunded and is under £20 a month now). Did you know that over a million households in the UK don't open their bills at all? That means they may not spot anomalies or any credit that is owed to them. One of the first steps you can take in saving money is looking at reducing your bills.
How to reduce your bills
- Use less – water, electricity and gas usage all adds up, so be sure to switch to energy saving light bulbs, only use what you need and take shorter showers.
- Switch your gas and electricity to cheaper suppliers.
- Get a water meter installed. The general “rule” is that if there are more or the same number of bedrooms in your house than people, getting a meter would save you money.
- Haggle haggle haggle. You can easily get a discount on your line rental, broadband and TV just by ringing and asking what offers are available to you – even if you are still in your contract.
- Get cashback on your bills with the Santander 123 current account
Santander 123 Current Account
The Santander 123 current account gives you cashback on your bills! That's right, you can earn up to 3% cashback on paying your usual bills. Putting in our monthly bills, we would get £103 in cashback every year, just for paying our bills! The current account costs £2 a month, so we would be earning back £79 for doing nothing more than paying our bills. And if we were to take out the 123 credit card, we would earn cashback on groceries, petrol and even train travel with National Rail.
To be eligible for a Santander 123 current account you will need to:
- Fund the account with £500 per month (this means getting at least £500 coming into your account every month – it doesn't have to stay there).
- Pay the monthly account fee, which is £2.
- Set up at least 2 Direct Debits
If you choose to switch to the Santander 123 current account then the switch will take no more than 7 working days under the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
Pin this for later
Join my FREE money making course
Join my free 6 week email course to find out tried and tested ways to earn extra money. Get exclusive access to the Money Making Mastermind Facebook group with over 1,000 members.