Paint Tool Sai is a Windows tool that has the ability to unleash the artist in anybody. But for beginners, this tool might seem difficult to use. Before getting started, here are some materials you’ll need:
- A computer
- The Paint Tool Sai software
Downloading the Paint Tool Sai
If you already own a computer, you should download the software from their official website https://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/. The Paint Tool Sai is lightweight and high quality painting software that provides digital art that is both enjoyable and comfortable.
The program has a trial period of 31 days – which means you can make use of the software for free during the first 31 days of download. Note that after the 31 days free period expires, the software disables the functions of open/save. If you intend to continue using this software after the trial period is over, you’ll need to purchase a license.
Before you proceed with installation, you need to accept the license agreement. Once you download the program, it means you agree with the agreement. The latest version of the program will then be installed in default settings. It is possible for you to preserve textures and brushes. If you make use of Windows Vista, avoid installing the program into “Program Files, because it may not function properly. Take note that during the process of installation, you’ll be offered other additional software, so if you don’t intend to make use of them, opt out by unticking the boxes.
First Use of Paint Tool Sai
- Open the program
- After successfully installing the Paint Tool Sai, open it. You’ll notice a tool bar up there. The primary focus now will be on the “File”, which can be used to make new canvas, called layer.
- On the “File” menu, select ”New” to create a new canvas. You can select preset canvas such as an A4 size, or you can manually select the height and width in cm or pixel. To draw the perfect background on your computer, figure out the right size of your screen and input a similar number. Take note that a high resolution can result to a good quality, so you don’t really need to put a high number.
- It is possible to draw on already saved pictures by clicking on “Open” on the “File” menu.
- Tools to use
There are various tools such as air brush, pencil, brush, and so on. But really, when it comes to drawing, you might only make use of the brush, air brush, blur, and marker. The brush and air brush are the first used in making clear lines, and the marker for expressing shadows. The blur is used to make a color dull.
- Tool settings
You can make use of density to make the brush deep or dull. If you intend to make use of light colors, it is best to reduce the density of your brush.
- The layer mode
When you open the mode, you will see the different modes – Multiply, Normal, Overlay, Screen, Shade, Luminosity, Binary color, and Lumi & Shade. These various modes help users to express colors more creatively.
- Normal provides just a normal layer for painting
- Screen helps users to put in bright and soft colors; it comes in handy when drawing lights
- Overlay is for putting dark and thick colors; mostly used for drawing shadows
- Luminosity is usually used for drawing stars and sun; from the word “luminosity” it is for drawing lighting objects, it can also be used to draw eyes
- Lumi & Shade is similar to overlay; it is used to make colors darker
- Binary color is for changing color saturation
- Adding layers
By clicking on “Layer, you will be able to include more layers to your painting. Click on “Show/Hide Layer” to view which one you’re currently making use of. Also, if you don’t need a layer, you can delete.
- Saving your work
On the ”File” menu, you’ll see the option that says “Export as” allowing you save your work in different formats. This option makes it possible for you to share your work with your friends and family, and you also get additional options of editing your with by using other programs. Before closing the Paint Tool Sai program, don’t forget to save your work.