It may sound impossible to visit NYC on a budget especially with expensive airfares and hotel stays exceptionally high, however it is affordable to visit even on a tight budget. You definitely want the best value for money and if you look around closely, you will find prices within your means.
10 Ways to save money while traveling to NYC
- Get a NYC pass – It may be stressful thinking about visiting New York for the first time since it’s a big city. NYC is fun and offers lots to do and see. It may be daunting planning your itinerary and choosing which places you would rather spend money on. The New York pass will help you save money and time and enjoy hassle free sight-seeing. It is a great option for first time visitors and enables you to skip lines and spend more time having fun. It also enables you to visit the top attractions in NYC. If you buy the pass online, you will save time and get a discounted rate. Your New York pass includes:
- Choice from over 100 NYC attractions
- Is valid for up to 10 days
- You save up to 70% on ticket prices for attractions
- You can visit unlimited amount of attractions every day
- Get familiar with the metro – Get a metro card at a vending machine in the airport or at the metro station. This will enable you to commute via the subway. It is a cheap way of traveling around town.
- Be familiar with when to book the hotel – NYC is one of the most popular destinations in the world and is generally very expensive. Before your trip, look for hotel rates on a daily basis so that you do not miss special offers. Another great way to save money is to book through Airbnb or Outpost Club since the prices are generally cheaper than hotels. This enables you to book a shared apartment or house and accommodation fees are split amongst all occupants of the home. As a tourist, look for places near Times Square or Manhattan as these are ideal locations to begin exploring the city.
- Check for discounts – You will find discounted rates on many events including Broadway musicals. Look for deals online as there are may discounts on tickets for musicals, sport events, concerts and shows. This will ensure that you experience true NYC culture at a fraction of the cost.
- Visit during off-season – Although New York is always buzzing and tourists visit almost any time of the year, the less crowded period is during January to March. During this time, you will experience reduced hotel rates.
- Don’t buy into souvenirs – Many tourists visit Manhattan purely to shop however, it is a good idea to set a budget and stick to it. Don’t get tacky souvenirs, rather invest in something valuable to you.
There are so many ways to enjoy NYC on a budget, if you are willing to do some research. You will find that even a budget holiday can be an exciting and fun filled one.