Saving money and gaining revenue is a top priority for all businesses. If you find a strategy to save money, you will find easier to grow profit and to take advantage of new opportunities. One of the simplest ways to enhance your finances is to make money from waste. It’s also great for the planet. Nowadays it’s quite expensive to send waste to the landfill, and you have to make sure that you meet certain laws and regulations when you recycle and sort it. You can pay great fines if you don’t properly handle and transport waste.
By converting your waste into cash, you reduce the amount of garbage you dispose and lower the impact your business has on the environment. Most of the times the waste that gets into landfills pollutes the air, soil and water. Recycling reduces the need for new materials and it generates new jobs.
Why should you look for waste reduction solutions?
If managed properly, waste can prove a great source of income and a resource you can use to overcome financial difficulties. Instead of looking for methods to dispose of the garbage, you should focus on finding solutions to reduce it.
- Using a baller to recycle the waste your business produces can improve your brand’s reputation among, prospective clients, partners, insurers, and employees. Now, more than ever people are taking environmental responsibilities seriously and when they choose to collaborate with a company, they want to make sure that they share the same values.
- By recycling waste, you comply with the existing environmental legislation without having to spend extra money to store and handle garage in a way that doesn’t affect the planet. Often, companies find waste management as another process they have to spend money on. Instead of being something that spends money that can grow your revenue, you can include it within your operations and make the most of it.
- Raw materials are expensive, but using recycled materials can help you save money. You can find ways to use part of the waste you produce, or you can collaborate with other companies that use it as supply.
How can you make money out of waste?
You can exploit countless opportunities to make money out of the garbage your company produces.
When running a restaurant, bar or hotel most of the waste you produce can be transformed into compost. Leftover food and kitchen garbage is the perfect supply for creating biodegradable organic compost. Under controlled conditions, you can transform waste into stable products that can be further used to provide nutrients to plants. You can expand your range of services and become a compost provider. The clients will not be late to come because organic fertilizer contains great amounts of nutrients and it helps plants grow. Compost is more affordable than traditional inorganic fertilizers.
If you produce your own supplies, you can use compost to grow plants and fruits. Vegetables and even flowers prefer organic fertilizer because it allows the soil to breathe and it retains water for a longer period of time.
Some waste cannot decay and it cannot be reused in nature. However, you can make money if you sell it as a supply for other companies that need it to manufacture their products. Textiles, metal, glass, and plastic are only some of the most popular types of garbage you can sell. Most of the commercial waste garbage trucks collect ends in landfills, but if you sort, clean and recycle it properly, you can sell it. Waste saves companies money when you find a smart solution to use it.
- When producing paper waste you can sell it to companies that use it to manufacture electronic equipment, cardboard or boxes. More and more states worldwide ban the use of plastic bags; so many businesses will have to switch from producing them to manufacturing paper bags.
- Plastic is one of the most common forms of commercial garbage and you can sell it to companies that melt it and reuse it. Different industries use it as a supply to manufacturing various products.
- Almost all types of metal can be melted and transformed into new products. You can collaborate with foundries, metal manufacturers, and scrap dealers.
- Companies that make carpets, shoes, and mats are always in search of recycled rubber. Rubber waste is a great supply for companies that use boilers.
- Recycled clothes are greatly used by businesses that produce high-quality paper, kids underwear and even stuffed animals.
Other great ways to make money out of garbage are:
- Produce heat and electricity through waste incineration
- Produce biodiesel
- Spread the waste on land and let to transform into fertiliser without any intervention
Come up with a strategy that helps you reduce waste
As stated before, reducing the amount of garbage your business produces will help the environment and save money. The best way to have benefits is to create an effective waste minimisation strategy.
The first step is to conduct a waste management audit. The process is simpler than it sounds, you note the quantities of waste you produce daily and try to estimate the amount you make annually. This will also help you identify the stages and operations that source the greatest quantities and waste, so you can improve the processes to reduce it. Once you have a clear idea of the type of waste you produce and the quantities you can deliver annually, you can start creating the recycling plan. You should adopt some measures that help you reduce the garbage in a simple and affordable way. A great example is reducing paper by starting to use a cloud to store data.
The following step is to talk to your team and to get them involved in the process. They can come up with suggestions or they can help you identify the inefficient processes. You should also search for solutions on how to prevent waste for getting into landfills. Decide what the key actions are because they influence the success of the waste management program.